Floating is an experience in which you become weightless, feel zero gravity, and float effortlessly in a sensory deprivation tank that is light-proof and sound-proof. All forces of gravity are removed from the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, allowing total relaxation. To begin the session, you step into the float tank that is filled with approximately 10 inches of warm water that has 800 pounds of Epsom salt dissolved in it. You lie down in the water, face up of course, and then the magic happens… Imagine yourself in a space where it is completely silent (every moms dream, huh?), free of light, and no pressure on your joints and muscles. Sounds amazing, right? Now imagine the benefits of treating your body and mind to something so relaxing. Floating has shown to decrease stress, tension, and pain, while enhancing the ability to heal and recover. There are many additional benefits to floating, which are listed in the “benefits” tab. Upon entering the float room, you will notice that it is a private room with a shower inside the room for your personal privacy and comfort. You will also notice that we have provided everything you need for a convenient session from beginning to end. These items include towels, washcloths, shampoo, body wash, and ear plugs. We do recommend removing contact lenses before floating, so please bring a case to place the lenses in. After your amazing float session, we will have you step into our lounge where we provide complimentary tea and water, as well as items such as a hair dryer and makeup removing wipes, etc… Keep in mind, it is our goal to make you feel right at home and always leave refreshed!
Benefits of Floating
- Stress reduction
- Anxiety reduction
- Sports recovery
- Pain relief
- Promotes relaxation
- Headache reduction
- Increases circulation
- Allows time for prayer or meditation
- Improves restful sleep
- Decreases muscle tension
- Decreases muscle spasms
- Heightens the senses
- Musculoskeletal awareness
- Increases endorphins
Before Your Float
We have a few recommendations for you to follow Before the float session. And when we say “recommendations” we mean “take our word for it!”
- Shaving: men should avoid shaving the face for 6 hours before floating, and women should avoid bodily shaving for at least 12 hours before.
- We recommend having a light meal 1.5 to 2 hours before floating.
- Although we want you to stay hydrated, we do NOT encourage large intake of fluids right before floating AND we highly recommend using the restroom right before. You don't want a full bladder to take away from your float session awesomeness! :)
- Avoid caffeine before you float in order to avoid extra stimulation while floating.
- Don't try to hold your head up. Let the buoyancy support your pretty little head, and let yourself drift off into a fabulous state of bliss! Ahhhhhh!
We know that floating is a new experience for many. We have provided the most common questions, with detailed answers to set your mind at ease. If you still have questions, please ask!
1.) How do you clean the tanks? Between each float we completely filter the water 3 times. Also, Epsom salt is naturally an antimicrobial agent, and is therefore a cleansing agent as well as therapeutic agent.
2.) Do I need to bring anything? We try to provide everything you may need; however, we do recommend bringing a case for contact lenses if so desired. It is recommended to remove lenses while floating.
3.) Can I float if I'm pregnant? Of course we advise you to consult with your physician beforehand; however, floating can relieve many pregnancy related aches and pains, and is safe for mom and baby.
4.) Can I float if I'm menstruating? Fo Sho! Just do as you would in a swimming pool or hot tub.
5.) Will I drown if I fall asleep? No. The water is so buoyant that you will remain afloat when sawing logs.
6.) Can I get out if I feel the need? Absolutely, you can exit the tank at any time.
7.) What if I'm Claustrophobic? The design of the tank makes it feel like an open space, rather than a tight enclosed space. Many people who suffer from Claustrophobia have said that they have no trouble at all inside the tank. Keep in mind, you can exit the tank at any time if you feel uncomfortable. You are in control!
During Your Float
Before hopping into the tank, we ask that you rinse off quickly in the shower to remove oils and lotions. Remember, there will be a shower in your private room. We think that floating is the most relaxing experience ever and we want to give you some pointers to enhance your session even more.
- Once you are lying, face up in the tank, you will become very buoyant and will not sink. This buoyancy is why your body has no pressure on the musculoskeletal system; so try to relax your body completely and let the salt support you.
- Try different arm positions once you get in and get settled. Some people prefer the arms by the side, while others prefer the arms in a position near the head. Try both and see what works best for you!
- Try to focus on your breathing until you are completely at ease. Once you are relaxed and comfortable, try to not do ANYTHING at all. Believe it or not, this is the hardest part of floating!! Not kidding :)